Tianjin’s blast-affected residents hold protest, demand compensation

Over a thousand local residents displaced by the Tianjin port warehouse blasts protested outside a hotel where officials were briefing the media Wednesday morning, demanding compensation for their damaged houses near the blast site.
 
The massive blasts at Ruihai International Logistics warehouse for hazardous chemicals have left 114 people dead including 53 firefighters as of August 19.
 
Property owners of nearby communities, which are about 600 meters away from the blasts site, gathered outside the Mayfair Hotel where head of Tianjin Port Holdings Company first appeared at the press conference since the tragedy occurred on August 12. Vice mayor of Tianjin Cao Xiaohong and environment chief were also present at the briefing.
 
The residents demanded that local government “buy back” their damaged houses, whose windows were all shattered away by the blast that was equal to detonating 20 tons of TNT.
 
Some carried signs that read “we don’t want to be lab mice” and “buy back our homes.” Some of the residents became jobless as their companies were also damaged by the blasts.
 
Police and security guards blocked the crowd from entering the hotel. There were no clashes between them.
 
The government has begun to tackle the damage claims. A third party will evaluate the economic losses of each household, said Zong Guoying, standing committee member of Tianjin Municipality yesterday.
 
Zheng Qingyue, chairman of Tianjin Port Holdings said Ruihai is not under the jurisdiction of Tianjin Port. “We have been busy with rescue works since the blasts. We will cooperate with the investigation led by the State Council and punish the guilty,” Zheng said.
 
Bao Jingling, chief engineer of the Tianjin Environmental Bureau, also quashed rumors that the environment was contaminated by the chemical residue after its contact with Tuesday’s rainfall.
 
“Our testers and I were working under the rain yesterday. None of us has reported any symptoms of poisoning so far,” Bao said. Among the 700 injured people, none has reported chemical poisoning, he said.
 
Cyanide contamination was found at eight of the 25 water testing sites within the blast zone. All the air quality test sites showed that there was no air pollution. Water in the blast zone drainage was the most polluted and it has been closed off, he said.
 
State broadcaster CCTV reported Tuesday that poisonous air was found within the core blast zone. “We can’t reach the core zone so we don’t know the situation. But we will contact with the anti-chemical corps at the front. We will closely monitor any traces of poisoning,” Bao added.
 


Explore Hunan Promote Hunan
Related Stories
Share this page
Touched Sympathetic Bored Angry Amused Sad Happy No comment
About us

Rhythm Media Group is a multi-media company, operating a US-based Chinese daily newspaper, The China Press, and the paper's website - uschinapress.com (which has mobile-app version), as well as a Beijing-based English website Sino-US.com. The group boasts 15 branch offices across the US, and a number of cultural centers focusing on culture-related business in the North America, Chinese mainland, Hong Kong and Taiwan.

Launched in September 2012, the Sino-US.com is designed to serve as a bridge between China and the US, and to keep its readership inside or outside China better informed by providing news and insights on China's current affairs, culture, life, business, people and sports.

Our Partners

About us - Contact us - Copyright - Terms of use - Privacy policy

Copyright © 2012 www.sino-us.com All Rights Reserved

京公网安备11010802011260