Path: Sino-US >> Sino-US News>> Updates >>
US politicizing technological cooperation on excuse of national security: Chinese foreign ministry
Photo: Foreign Affairs Ministry
 
China’s foreign ministry said US was politicizing regular technological cooperation by using national security as an excuse, in response to a report that US is considering to ban US companies from buying telecom gears made by China’s Huawei Technologies and ZTE Corp.

Reuters previously reported President Donald Trump is considering an executive order in the new year to declare a national emergency that would bar US companies from using telecommunications equipment made by China’s Huawei and ZTE, citing three sources familiar with the situation.

“It would be the latest step by the Trump administration to cut Huawei and ZTE, China’s two biggest telecoms network equipment suppliers, out of the United States market. The US alleges that the two companies work at the behest of the Chinese government and that their equipment could be used to spy on Americans,” according to Reuters.

The executive order, which reportedly has been under consideration for more than eight months, could be issued as early as January and would direct the US Commerce Department to ban domestic companies from buying equipment made by foreign companies that may pose significant national security risks, Reuters reported citing sources from the US telecoms industry and the administration.

Hua Chenying, the spokeswoman of China’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs, refused to make a formal comment on the news which had not been verified, while confirming there had been talks about the US trying to contain Chinese hi-tech companies.

“Many government officials, academics, and media including even those in the US have gone straight to the heart of the problem now facing Chinese hi-tech companies operating overseas. It’s better to use facts to prove national security issues. Without any proof, some country is using national security as an excuse to politicize normal technological communications and cooperation,” she stated.

Meng Wanzhou, the chief financial officer of Huawei, was put under arrest on December 1, at the behest of the United States on allegedly fraud charges. Since then, governments and companies around the world have announced new bans on Huawei products, increasing financial pressure on the company, reported the South China Morning Post.

Huawei Chairman Liang Hua said on Tuesday the company would continue to push on with 5G developments despite more bans against it. “In the face of a crisis of confidence from the West, first we must do our own work well, and continue to build Huawei’s competitiveness in the field of 5G,” Liang told Chinese media, noting they have faith customers will finally turn to them.
 

 


Related Stories
Share this page
Touched Sympathetic Bored Angry Amused Sad Happy No comment

Beijing turns to facial recognition to combat public housing abusesChina's leading car-sharing firm faces cash crunch amid surging demand for deposit refundUS politicizing technological cooperation on excuse of national security: Chinese foreign ministryWhite House said to mull new year executive order to bar Huawei, ZTE purchasesChina announces Canadian’s drug smuggling appeal as row continues over detained trioChinese movie castigating suppressive parenting resonates with young netizensGaming stocks surge after Beijing resumes video game approvals after 9-month freezeLuckin Coffee's massive loss creates doubts about its futureWill the embattled Trump resign and its potential ramification for ChinaImprisonment of Chinese gay-porn writer prompts outcry against outdated judicial interpretation
< Prev Next >